Friday 20 February 2015

Chocoholic! Too Faced Chocolate Bar thoughts and swatches!


I have always been put off buying this palette due to its £45 price tag in the UK. Although recently I have found myself looking for warmer, browner shadows... finding myself reaching for my MUA or Urban Decay Naked palettes over my usual cool toned, smoky MAC ones. So after looking through Debenham's beauty section of their site like I always do, I spotted they had the famous Too Faced Chocolate Bar for only £39! This was justification enough but I had managed to find a 10% off beauty code online.. saving me an extra £3.90!

" Indulge your craving for chocolate with these 16 antioxidant-rich cocoa powder infused matte and shimmer shades. Inspired by our best-selling cocoa powder based Solell Bronzer. "

Chocolate scented? I'm already interested! Indeed it does smell like cocoa, accidentally getting some on the corner of my mouth earlier I realised how sweet the powder actually tasted!


The palette consists of 16 colours, so for the extra £1 you get 4 more shadows than the Naked palettes. How cute are the names? I think the Strawberry Bon Bon and Haute Chocolate are the most adorable names. As you can see, Too Faced have provided the perfect amount of highlighting and corner lid crease colours in this palette. I love how it allows me so many alternating eye looks (if you were lacking creativity, Too Faced have included a little booklet with 3 or so eye looks anyway!).

Woops, my messy finger prints on everything like usual!

The packaging is sweet and retro looking, but the tin is a pain! I immediately realised how heavy this palette was and thought 'I better not drop this!'. The clunky packaging is a little downside for me, meaning whilst it will look fab in my make-up Muji drawers, practically I cannot take this in my bag out and about without fearing it will clunk on something and smash.


Another annoying thing, the sweet names are not even printed under the shadows! The plastic insert is very irritating, to be able to know which shades I'm using I have to refer back to the plastic!! This is a major flaw in my opinion, but I believe Too Faced have realised this whilst developing the new addition to the Chocolate Bar collection with Semi-Sweet due out later this year.

The inside casing features a mirror (useless to me, I never remove the film from any of them). Also, its not like you could technically use the mirror to touch it up on the go due its bulky casing...

So here are the swatches...


 Left (from up to down): Champagne Truffle, Cherry Cordial, Amaretto, Candied Violet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Triple Fudge, Black Forest Truffle, Milk Chocolate. Right (up to down): Haute Chocolate, Creme Brulee, Hazelnut, Semi-Sweet, Marzipan, Salted Caramel, White Chocolate, Gilded Ganache.


L-R Top row: Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge. Second Row: Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto. Third Row: Hazelnut, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle.

 I think the stand out shades for me have to be Marzipan (a gorgeous creamy pearly pink), Gilded Ganache (a dark glittery green/brown) and Amaretto (a deep wine reddish shimmer).

I absolutely love some of the colours in this palette, the creamy pigmented shimmers are the best ones. The matte ones I found were very chalky and transparent on the skin (in particular Strawberry Bon Bon) which is a shame.

I cannot wait for the Semi-Sweet palette to come out and experiment with that! I'm not sure I would be willing to fork out £45 however...

Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette sells for £39 at Debenhams at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment